Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I hate commercials ...

And don't we all, really? I generally dislike t.v. and watch it intending to become completely numb. But some commercials make me cry, 'cause I'm a girl and stuff.

There's a commercial lately where people are reunioning in airport terminals. They hug and cry and do a lot of emoting. And I cry. Every dumb time. I miss my mom.

The last time I saw her was on a far-too-brief trip back to the cities. We met for an hour at Perkins. I could tell she was freaking out; she seemed hardly able to hold it together for all the emotions inside her: I love you, I miss you, I have so much to tell you, please don't leave again. But she smiled and asked me about Montana. Then we hugged good-bye, a desperate kind of hug. Like the hugs in the commercial.

I don't cry as much as I used to when I miss my mom. She's been gone nine years, and that's just what happens. But I cry every time I see this commercial, and every time I am completely unprepared for it.

It's not fair. Boys don't cry.

No comments: