Friday, March 25, 2011

Digital or Analog?

Last week I got my first iPhone. I love it. I love everything about it. I went right out and downloaded running aps, set up profiles, looked at training plans (omg yes -- marathon training plans). It tracks my pace. It maps my route (<3 gps). It tells me I'm doing great. It posts my workout so everyone else can tell me I'm doing great.

Today I had my first longer run with the phone and the music and the armband and the ap and the talking voice. And I found it a little over-whelming. I felt like I was missing out on the whole organic experience of running. It seemed like such a waste of the mountain and the trees and the misty rain and the pine needles underfoot. I couldn't hear myself breathe, or think.

I started to get lost in my thoughts despite all this; my thoughts have been pretty insistent lately. But I felt very weighed down and drowned out by all this technology.

It all started with a watch. I timed every run at the beginning. If I forgot my watch, I stopped and went home to get it. The first run that I managed without it was so liberating; I ran the run I wanted and wasn't spending the whole run checking my time. Music also became a crutch for me, and whenever I felt particularly crummy I'd plug in and tune out. But I always felt unsatisfied with these runs, like I hadn't even been there for it.

So I guess what this comes down to is that I am going to have to find other ways to get my technology fix. I think it will take me too far away from the things I love about running.

1 comment:

Jade said...

I find that so interesting - I haven't been running long but so far I love all the tech stuff I can do with my phone- the tracking (gps and time) and the posting, etc. make it really fun for me right now. I wonder if I'll be a perpetual tech-junkie while I run or if the plugged-in-ness will become overwhelming for me too.

I haven't run by myself yet, but I'm sort of looking forward to doing so and putting some angry, guttural music in my ears while I do. If it becomes unsatisfying though, I'll try some organic running business and see how it works out. I can't wait to find out what my experience is.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts!