Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Good-bye, 2-a-Days

So I was reading an article on the benefits and pitfalls of running doubles, which got me thinking.

I love running in the morning and again in the evening. It's an easy way for me to get my mileage, and with my busy schedule, it fits my life. Last year, as I trained for my first marathon, I made heavy use of doubles. Last year, I bonked hard at 18. Of course, I have other valid reasons why that happened, so it never occurred to me to question this piece of my training.

And so this year I am back at doubles with a fervor. Until yesterday, when I read, "Staying with longer single runs builds endurance, while shorter doubles allow you to train at a faster pace." This is true; I have gotten much faster. But my longer runs have not gotten any easier. By splitting my mileage into two runs, I have not gotten all the benefits of endurance training.

I truly do not want to have the same marathon experience this year. So this is the end, for now. Hasta la off-season, 2-a-Days.

No comments: