Monday, June 6, 2011

Someone Else's Race


There have been so many cheerleaders in my life -- especially this last year -- pushing me on, picking me up off the asphalt, inspiring me to try for more, and generally just telling me "good job." It has meant so much to me. So, yesterday, I gave some love back.

I volunteered at the 3rd annual Minneapolis Marathon. It was my first time volunteering. I brought everything: cowbell, whistle, noise maker. Sunscreen? D'oh!

I was near the start of the race, and everyone took off like the crazy, happy, 7am runners they all were. Lots of smiles, so awesome to see.

After they all cleared and we had taken down the barracades and cleaned up, I was sent to mile 18. I was so excited to be there. What a wonderful place to be a cheerleader. At the top of the hill. And right after the water station. I screamed and whooped and smiled and flirted and cowbelled and "good jobbed" for four hours. I stayed until the last runner passed. So many people thanked me, and I remembered how grateful I was for the words of encouragement at the tough spots on my marathon.

It was so inspiring, and so fulfilling, to see so much passion and grit pass before me, humbling. This is only the beginning, I will be doing this again and again.

If you can't run, volunteer!

2 comments:

Jade said...

This seriously made me tear up. I'm totally volunteering.

Bunny said...

Love it, Jade!! Let me know how it goes!